Monday 6 October 2014

Those pesky life decisions!

Well, things seem to be going pretty well for me at the Brotherton archives. I had a meeting with my manager to 'discuss the first stage of my probation' (uuurk!). Thankfully this was not as scary as it sounds; it was just to see if I'd achieved my objectives so far, which, apparently, I had. Learning to use the digitisation suite will come later, probably in January, when I've got more of the survey under my belt. I suggested that, sometime soon, I could learn to upload photos to EMu, as a better way of dealing with the elaborate labels the late Victorians so enjoyed sticking on things. For example, on one picture, by William Gosse (from the family of Philip Henry Gosse), the artist explains in detail the origins of the work, then digresses to point out huffily that he actually made another sketch of the same subject that was effectively stolen by an aquaintance, who gave it to 'some friend of his', who then exhibited it without asking permission! Yep, it's a big label. And in archiving, you generally try and copy anything written on anything into a record, or where it won't get lost, which means I had to type out the whole of Gosse's lament. Another painting is by an Italian artist and includes a long label written completely in Italian, which I gave up trying to copy out in full, or indeed translate! Luckily, my manager agreed that photos were a good idea.

Learning that I'm doing well in the job has also added to my growing conviction that I would like to follow archiving as a career. When first starting my internship, despite having done a lot of volunteering, I was unsure, preferring to keep my options open, but now I've had the chance to take on more responsibility, I can see that this could be my vocation. I feel at home in this working environment; in fact, for the first time, I feel part of a group of people who are actually like me (sounds terrifying to you, I know!). There are a lot of introverts and quiet people, and everyone gets satisfaction from putting things in order! They tend to be meticulous and fastidious and, I think, put effort into keeping things running smoothly. They also aspire to help others through their work in the public sector. Generally, then, they seem to share my kind of attitudes and values. Here I can put my skills to use and feel a part of something bigger that is going to make a difference to academic research in the years to come. This isn't to say that I'd definitely wind up with a job in a similar environment, and there are issues as with any vocation (for example competition in the job market, especially where permanent contracts are concerned). However, I feel enthusiastic about continuing on from here, and that's what's important.

Therefore, I'm trying to ascertain whether I will have enough experience to apply to do my postgraduate diploma in a year's time. I've booked a careers appointment to discuss options, and am looking at ways I can fill in any gaps in my knowledge. I've applied to join the Archives and Records Association as a full member (now that I'm technically 'working in the profession'!). I've had an e-mail saying that they've received my application and someone will get back to me; let's hope it won't be with a test or some kind of Herculean challenge! I imagine, though, that they'll be happy for me to join, and when I do I can try and attend some events and learn more about the role of the archivist in the wider world, and the latest developments.

According to ARA's complex website at  http://www.archives.org.uk/ , they seem to offer many and varied services. One really great thing is that you can join online groups according to your particular interests - I've requested to join those for digital archiving, conservation, film heritage and, essential to me, new professionals and students. I also found this fab blog, affiliated to the new professionals section, called 'Off the Record'  http://aranewprofessionals.wordpress.com/ . There are so many interesting articles on here I don't know where to start, but doubtless I'll find all the advice helpful, including that on how people got started in archiving.

I'll start to try and put some images on here soon - I'm not sure the staff would approve of my waltzing around taking pics and putting them online but I'll see if I can show you or direct you to some examples from collections I'm talking about - or, if you're lucky, something with alligatoring or silverfish damage :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment