Tuesday 30 September 2014

Alligators, ducks, fish and foxes...

Art conservation is an extremely interesting field. When I started volunteering, I never expected to be involved in this side of things, but then the conservator’s volunteer dropped out and I ended up being ‘shared’ between the archivists and the conservator. At that time I mostly helped move things, cut paper and made folders; in this new job I’m actually involved in assessing the condition of items, rating them with regard to urgency of attention needed and describing any damage.

A large table, well-padded, is set up for me in the L-shaped room or the art store, wherever I am working. I don my latex gloves, and a mask if there’s mould or a lot of dust. I take an art object over to the table and work through my checklist. First of all, what is this?! I’ve done some reading on different types of print, photographs and so on, yet still the answer is not always clear (sometimes the conservator doesn’t know either!). For example, I’ve had some items on which well-meaning people have stuck labels that completely misinform me as to the medium. I’ve also had to deal with some photographs of drawings and paintings, which can be very confusing – is this a print? Or a photo of a drawing…? And so on.
Moving on, can I spot any damage to the item, such as scuffing, cockling of the support or bits missing (‘losses’)? How is the object mounted – if on board, is this acid-free? Is there any dirt and, if so, is it on the item or just the glass in its frame? Or, if an old photograph, you come up against that crucial yet bewildering question: ‘Is this discoloured or did it always look like that?’
If the item is framed, is this the original frame and if not, do we really need it? If not, it’s time to get the pliers out, goggles on and pull out nails or do whatever necessary to get the backing off – often revealing that someone has stuck the object to its mount with sticky tape – aaagh!
If paper is involved, I try to ascertain what might have caused any ominous grubby marks. If an acidic mount, such as wood or most types of board, has been used, the paper usually has brown lines or other marks on it because the acid literally burns the paper over time. Some artworks I’ve seen have been in frames with a wood backing, which stains the entire back of the object brown. Another very common thing with paper is ‘foxing’: those small brown stains that form over the surface. These are caused by metal impurities in the paper, which corrode. I’ve had one instance of suspected mould – some kind of liquid was dropped on the object’s surface and the mould was attracted to the liquid. I had to deframe the item straight away and put it aside for special treatment. If anyone reading this has anything precious on paper – please keep it somewhere dry!
Oil paintings are very often cracked all over, or can have rips and tears or are slack on their stretchers. Though these don’t often have frames, I’ve found a small painting of Walter Scott in the art store, with an exquisitely ornate, art deco-style wooden frame. The frame is gorgeous but so fragile, with losses and bits hanging off it, that I hardly dare touch it. Alarmingly, it’s hanging on a rack and I’m dying to get it into a box where it’s safe!
Just enough time to tell you some of the idiosyncratic, often funny vocabulary that you’re supposed to use when describing  artworks and any damage. Here are some of my favourite terms:
Alligatoring: extreme shrinkage cracking in paint that resembles alligator skin
Cotton Duck: a white cotton canvas used from 1920’s
Fishtail crack: an age crack that looks like a fish tail – often in the corner of an oil painting
Craqueleure: another name for age cracking
Pentimenti: Where a paint layer has become transparent, revealing what is below
Blind Cleavage: described in my glossary as ‘areas of cleavage that are difficult to see’.  (Cleavage is where paint has lost adhesion to its ground – of course!!)
Plenty of fun to be had, then, but plenty of work…

No comments:

Post a Comment