Friday 31 October 2014

The Pease-Ford dynasty

I thought that this time I might give an example of a particular collection I’m working on. It’s been difficult to connect artworks with a collection, especially in the store, as so often, not everything is listed in the collection’s record in EMu – or, if it is, it might say ‘artworks’ without being any more specific. However, I’m pleased to say that I did find evidence in the database of exactly where my group of portraits in the L-shaped room has come from. This was made easier by the fact that the portraits (and some other art) are the only items in this particular collection, so everything was listed nicely and to order.

The University has a very large Quaker collection, and these portraits relate to the Ford family, a wealthy Quaker family of the Victorian era. They intermarried with the Leeds branch of the Pease family, prominent industrialists in the wool trade. The Leeds Peases are here on Wikipedia, under ‘more distant relations’.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_family
Once I found the list for the collection in EMu, I started to piece together exactly who these people were and the important part they played in Leeds' history, and have been researching where I can ever since. Here is the entire list, with my notes on it - you'll have to zoom in, and apologies to anyone colour blind! The objects I’ve found are in red and my additions are in purple. Incidentally, when I was volunteering, one of my tasks was to write lists like this!


The object that has most intrigued me is the family portrait (xi) –  actually the ‘Pease Family Portrait’. We have a black-and-white photograph of this, with a letter attached written by Marian Pease, the daughter of the young boy in the photograph, Thomas Pease. (Marian is mentioned on the Wikipedia page as an ‘educator’, though I don’t know in what capacity.) This letter names everyone in the portrait and details some of Marian and her father’s memories of the Pease sisters. I am now dying to find out where the original is. Even if it’s in a private collection, I just want to know! An image of it has been contributed on ancestry.co.uk and I have decided to become a paying member just so I can look up the Pease and Ford family tree and try and trace the portrait! Until then, only my line manager can log me in, so this image of the portrait is small (as it’s taken from a thumbnail). I’ll replace it when I can.

The oldest sister, Hannah Ford nee Pease,



was the mother of Isabella Ford, the social reformer, and Emily Ford, the artist, two amazing women I can’t believe I’ve only just discovered now. Read about them here:
However, I feel a lot of sympathy for the youngest daughter in the portrait, Jane. 
She is described as 'mentally deficient' and was institutionalised at various times during her life.
Apparently the Fords of Adel were a radical family who supported societal reform – very unusual for their class. They also believed in gender equality: definitely my kind of people!
The other portrait that really interests me is an older, early 18th century print of Christopher Rawlinson, a descendant of the Fords. He was an aristocrat from Essex who went to live at Cark Hall in Lancashire and spent his days editing Anglo-Saxon texts.
The National Gallery holds more of the same print; here is the image from their website:



Unfortunately, the one we have is the picture I referred to last time, that has been eaten away by silverfish! If you can imagine, those nasty critters have left all the black parts (as they don’t like eating ink) and have taken big patches out of the white parts, namely his face. He looks like he has had a bad case of peeling after sunburn.
On the back of the frame is a label with some manuscript in Latin; I had to go and ask the two people in the office who were fluent in Latin to help me decipher it, except that it confused them as well. Eventually I found out that the text was taken from the frontispiece of Rawlinson’s book.
It’s so interesting researching these people – I just have to make sure it doesn’t distract me too much from doing my surveys!

2 comments:

  1. Hey I just posted a comment but I don't think it worked! Let's see if this does...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! It worked that time.... so what I said was that I am really enjoying reading your posts about what you do. I actually didn't really know exactly what you were doing in your job and it sounds fascinating. It's so much more interesting solving problems and mysteries than reading about things that people have already discovered!

    ReplyDelete