Thursday 20 November 2014

Gott some news, Pease take note! (Ok, enough with the puns now)

Well, today I’m not quite sure where to begin… I had a pretty exciting time in the art store last Thursday because I found a whole bunch of artworks from the Mrs. Frank Gott collection. Frank Gott was Lord Mayor of Leeds from 1917-18 and Beryl Gott the Lady Mayoress. She was also Leeds’ first woman alderman and one of the city’s first female magistrates. The Gotts, like the Ford family, began as wool merchants – Leeds is largely built on the textile and wool industries so generally big on cloth.


If this webpage is anything to go by, it seems Mrs Gott bequeathed things all over the place and the Brotherton library is no exception. We have the couple’s papers and very many artworks, mostly drawings and prints. A lot of these depict scenes of Leeds or old plans – here’s one:
 
 
These are either in the store or displayed around the library but (fun times for me) not all of them have records. The notes left by a previous art gallery collections manager indicated that there were a few Gott Bequest things around – she even left some images – but I just couldn’t account for all of them. Then I had the brainwave that, instead of doing any more fruitless searches on the database, why didn’t I just LOOK AROUND?!! I can tell this will be an important lesson in my archiving career. In a few minutes I’d found several prints that I’d been searching for, which means I can start to make records for them. Then (taking the ‘look around’ idea to a new level) I glanced slightly to the right just before entering Special Collections to return the store key and saw two more Gott pictures on the wall! How many hundreds of times had I walked past those?!
Well, I’ll try and contain my excitement and not write any more about that because when I told my manager about it at my 1-to-1 she said she wanted me to write a blog post for Special Collections about all this because I could ‘get some emotion into it’! I can’t remember past blog posts of theirs being especially emotional but I’ve told her I’ll do my best. So I’m going to be blogging for the Special Collections website! Obvs will post a link when it’s live.
I also asked if there were any chance I could take photos for my own blog and she said I potentially could do a couple, but I don’t think I’ll be doing many if at all unfortunately. As well as anything else, there’s something I hadn’t thought of – issues around copyright. You can’t publish something that is inside copyright without permission, and the rule generally is that the writer or artist has to have been dead for 70 years. From what I gather, it seems that this includes reproduction of images. So the portraits might be a possibility but the Edith Culman collages would be out. I’m sure people take photos of people’s art and stick it on the net all the time but apparently you can’t do this officially. Anything we digitise and put on our website also has to be within copyright. It’s been suggested that I might even be able to write some letters requesting permission at some point; watch this space!
More finds followed while in work yesterday… For no reason whatsoever, while in the stacks I went and had a look at the Cottingley Fairies collection, but that’s for another time! I then went and deframed the Pease Family Portrait and got a huge surprise. When I’d removed the frame, underneath was a small stretcher with quite a large pencil drawing of a young girl on it. It was inscribed ‘Cara, 1921’. Why had Marian Pease covered up this lovely drawing with a photograph of a portrait? A possible answer emerged when I took the stretcher down to show the conservator. She looked at it closely and pointed out that it was not an entirely genuine pencil drawing, but a print that someone had added to in pencil. Maybe this was why it hadn’t been deemed worth displaying – it wasn’t a ‘proper’ drawing. Meanwhile, the back of the stretcher had been padded with a Radio Times from 1941 – interesting in itself! I pictured the scene: it’s wartime and Marian Pease doesn’t want to spend money on frames, so she takes this picture of a family member, one she’s not particularly fond of but doesn’t want to throw away, puts the photograph of her father’s family over the top, stuffs it with this week’s Radio Times and puts a simple frame around the whole thing.
And who is Cara? It’s Margaret Cara Benson Rablen, who, along with her sister, bequeathed the Ford family portraits collection. She was born in 1914, died in 2011 (you can see her obituaries on Leicester Quaker sites) and is the great-granddaughter of Hannah Pease. Much to impress my manager with for next time, ha ha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment